Friday, May 13, 2005

A press feeding frenzy, with the Guvenator

DOWNTOWN SACRAMENTO - After a morning of listening to Blue Cross defend some pretty outrageous hikes in rates at a public hearing, I got to see Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger up close and personal at the presentation of the May Revise - a look at how much money the state thinks will come in, and how to spend it.

Predictably, it was a mob scene, but my press credentials from the Bureau of National Affairs, Inc., (BNA, I'm with the Bureau) got me everywhere and a front row seat. He's not nearly as big as he looks in the movies, in fact, I think he's about 5 feet 9 inches tall.

The press ranged from the very committed and very smart to the very lazy and very, well, not-so-smart, judging from the quality of the questions that were asked.

Did I ask a question? Nope. Didn't need to, though I was curious about some things well outside the parameters of the world of health, about which I will be writing Saturday.

Now the real work of writing/reporting begins because the May Revise is a complicated thing, and just as we figure out what it means, the Legislature will come out with its version mid-week of how money should be spent from its perspective.

Good thing Clark Kent can turn into Superman when needed. Like this weekend when I need to write these stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment