Monday, June 06, 2005

A video review of 'The Aviator'

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - To get things straight right at the outset, Leonardo DiCaprio is right there with, well, I can't think of another actor I have liked less.

I didn't like him in Titanic (but what sailor could like that film?) and I've suffered through several other films (Gangs of New York, Catch Me If You Can) in which I ground my teeth so hard they hurt after the movie.

So what about The Aviator, with Leonardo as Howard Hughes?

Damn, I hate to admit it, but it is a fabulous film. And Leonardo (whom until I viewed this movie, I always have called, Leonardo DiCrapio) made you forget it was him. In this movie, he is Howard Hughes.

Many people unfamiliar with Hughes's strange life might miss a few of the nuances in the film, but it's well worth taking home on a DVD (or use Netflix like I do, much easier).

The Aviator gets a solid thumbs up - even with Leonardo DiCrapio, now that he's learned how to act.

No comments:

Post a Comment