Wednesday, June 01, 2005

So Watergate's Deep Throat is finally revealed


Watergate reporters
Originally uploaded by Brite Lights photos.
WASHINGTON, D.C. - All these years my money was on Alex Butterfield in the Nixon White House. I was sure he had been Carl Berstein and Bob Woodward's source, Deep Throat, in the Watergate stories that helped force Richard Nixon out of office.

But it turned out to be Mark Felt, who for years denied any connection.

Now, at 91, he's seeking a little redemption, mostly because he did the right thing but knew that many people would not think so then.

In retrospect, Deep Throat did the nation a service, even if we did end up with Gerald Ford as president for a short time. Ford is the only president I ever shook hands with, though I've been around plenty of famous people as a journalist.

As a journalist, famous people don't impress you. They are just, well, people and usually represent a story you have to write of some kind. Gerald Ford certainly hit that category, so did Chuck Yeager, Alan Cranston, Norman Mailer, Ben Bradlee, Gary Hart, Gloria Steinem and God-knows-how-many others I've met over the years.

The single time I ever was flustered was 20+ years ago when I was at a cocktail party and backed up without looking and crashed into Jane Fonda. She was more beautiful in person than on the screen. And I couldn't speak, literally. She spoke and in that silky voice said, "Hello, I'm Jane," shook my hand and walked off smiling at me.

Gawd!

If I bumped into Mark Felt, I'm sure I could speak, however.

And I would simply say, 'Nice job, Mark.'

1 comment: