Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Just when you thought it was safe to fly...

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - For the two weeks I've been back on the ground here, not a single bad story about airline safety, pilots or crashes.

Not a peep.

Which is why I knew, I just knew it was going to happen right before I have to fly again - and lo it did.

The U.S. Attorney's office just filed charges against 40 pilots who should absolutely not be flying. Only one, thank God, was a commercial airline pilot.

What disqualified them? Well how about schizophrenia, drug addiction and heart problems.

No in my cockpit, thank you very much.

So while I take some comfort that the investigators didn't seem to find Jet Blue pilots out of shape schizophrenic, drug addicted and with heart problems, I really don't know how hard they looked at them either. I know I'll chat a little with the pilots next week before we take off and head for New York City from Sacramento.

And I'll pack a few extra bottles of wine, too.

For me, not the pilots!

Here's the story from the San Francisco Chronicle.
  • Unsafe at any altitude
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment