Friday, December 29, 2006

Cats always know who the allergic person is


Cat's rule
Originally uploaded by Brite light photos.
VERSAILLES DISTRICTO, Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico - Son Dustin's cat Lattie has the same gene as every other cat I've ever been around.

It's the gene that allows cats to figure out who is likely to get a stuffy nose if the cat gets too close. If you're lucky, it's only a stuffy nose and not a sneezing fit that clears the room and makes people nervous.

I had cats for 20 years and thought that you were supposed to have trouble breathing a good part of the day. A doctor ran an allergy panel on me years ago and found that both cats and hair spray trigger a strong reaction. One type of woman's perfume, called Emeraude will actually induce my gag reflex, but I digress.

This is Lattie's house so I have done my best to be a good guest without flinging her away. We are both adjusting and the only time it's an issue is when I crawl into the bed in the upstairs loft where she has easy access to - yes, you have it - curl up next to my head.

Gawd.

On a totally unrelated note, the Admiral and I visited neighboring La Cruz two days ago, a small town about 10 miles from downtown. We were on assignment for a story about the new marina being built and where the developer simply backfilled the beach in front of people's million-dollar homes and started the project.

We saw lots of dogs (but no cats, Gracias Dios) and we found a novel use for old outboard motors.

I once did the same thing in my backyard with an old wooden rowboat (named the Guppy) that had lost all hope of ever floating again. It became a playboat for the kids and occasionally was filled with ice and beer for parties.

When old outboards die
When old outboards die they return to the soil

No comments:

Post a Comment