Tuesday, March 08, 2005

When looking back is a good idea


Clouds? What clouds?
Originally uploaded by Brite light photos.
LAKEWOOD, NY - It was Satchel Paige who warned not to look back, because, he said, 'they might be gaining on you."

But how do you write without looking back, as in 'The Class of 66' that Gonzo and I are struggling with? (Who is Gonzo? It's the mad (as in looney, not angry) writer side of me who helps me pump out thousands of words in short order for some types of writing.) Last night watching 'The Maltese Falcon,' it was a Gonzo night of remembering those days in Lakewood when we ran like wild dogs and rarely got caught doing all the things I'm flashing on as I dredge up the memories. Not all of them are good, but all vivid.

But I'm getting off point. Another cup of tea will help. Maybe.

In the photo with this blog, the cruisers heading out of the Paradise Village Marina are about to encounter a maelstrom that will rock their boat, but in these near dawn hours, it seemed so tranquil. Plus they don't see the wallop that's behind them.

Someone told me recently that you can't know where you are going unless you know where you've been. That's either an incredible, meaningful aphorism or complete crap. This morning I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, let alone events of 40 years ago, when we ran like wild dogs and rarely got caught.

What does that mean for what I'll write today?

mjf

No comments:

Post a Comment