Sunday, March 20, 2005

Sayulita: A great surfing beach and bare butts


Bare butt in the water
Originally uploaded by Brite light photos.
SAYULITA, Nayarit, Mexico - The surfing at Sayulita is legendary, and it was memorable for me Saturday when I slammed my toe into a boulder out off the beach, raising a welt - and a holler. Rocks! What the hell kind of beach has rocks!?!?!?!?

The water is different than in Banderas Bay, though it is just about 15 or 20 miles away. It's a lot cleaner and, somehow, seemed a lot warmer.

Whatever, it was a nice change to be able to see the bottom, even if I didn't watch carefully enough to save my toe from a crunch.

The main difference between Sayulita and Paradise Village, however, is the age of the people on the beach. Paradise Village tends more towards middle-aged, Sayulita is a young people's beach. Our 24-year-old son Dustin found it quite intriguing. (So did I, but I had to be a lot more covert when the bikini-clad twenty-somethings walked by.)

There were lots of young families, too, such as the dad and daughter in the photo with the blog. She loved the surf and ran around whenever he let go of her hand. She reminded me of the Coppertone billboard ads - except her little bare butt didn't have any tan lines at all.

Sabbatical's crew took the day off - though I did three boat projects before 9:30 a.m. It's not a real work day unless you work until noon.

Tomorrow is back to the two writing deadlines I have facing me like a banshee on steroids. And, of course, 'The Class of 66' is there, too, which fell by the wayside the past few days while I finished up one project whose deadline (today) loomed.

The deadline for that project is June 2006 - but not for the draft, for the finished project. Watch out Richard Russo, this one could slip right past you on the NYT bestseller lists.

If I ever get it finished...

mjf

No comments:

Post a Comment